TESTS FOR GIFTED STUDENTS - SAMPLE 1
I. Choose the word from the list below to replace the underlined part each sentence.
arranged - captain - champion - outdoors – postponed - professionally - referee - score - second - side - spare
1. Mary plays tennis as a way of earning her living.
2. Tomorrow's match has been put off for another time.
3 In motor racing last year William Green was the best driver of all.
4. The player with the lowest number of points wins the game.
5 A match between the Dutch and German teams has been fixed for next month.
6 I like swimming in my free time.
7. Jane Briggs was the runner-up in the 100 metres hurdles.
8. Who is the player in charge of your football team?
10 Charies was sent off for insulting the person who controls the match.
11 .We decided to hold this year's dancing competition in the open air.
12. Everyone agrees that United States were the best team.
II. Fill in each space with a correct preposition.
1. John is concerned _________ Mary.
2. Who is concerned _________ this project?
3. I'm glad _______ your prize
4. We're grateful ________ your help.
5. Don't be hard ________ me.
6. I'm ignorant _________ those facts.
7. Be independent ________ others.
8. Don't feel inferior _______ anyone.
9. Are you jealous ________ her?
10. Be loyal ________ your friends.
11. You are safe _________ danger now!
12. John is not strong ________ languages.
13. We're accustomed _______ noise.
14. George is ahead _________ me.
15. Are you angry _______ me?
16. I'm not answerable _________ anyone.
17. Aren't you ashamed _______ yourself?
18. Now we're bound _________ home.
19. I'm busy ________ my accounts
20. George is capable ___________ anything.
21. Are you certain ________ success?
22. We're not clear _______ this sentence.
III. Complete the following passage by inserting a correct word in each space.
English is the _______ of international communication _______ many areas of life: trade, air and sea transport, tourism, sport and entertainment. _______ and more people also need English for _______ at universities and colleges. New ideas in science, technology and medicine _______ so quickly _______ it is _______ to translate everything into different _______. So most things are published in English, and if you want to keep _______ with the latest ideas in any subject, you need _______. Millions of people around the world want to learn English. Many of them come to Britain (and other English-_______ countries) to study at language schools, especially in the summer. There are thousands _______ different schools. They offer _______ for children, teenagers and adults. There are courses _______ General English, Technical English, Business English and so on. You should always _______ to find out _______ much information as possible before you choose a school. In particular, you should try to talk to other _______ from your own country who have _______ to a language school to find out what you should expect. If you go to a language _______, you should try to speak English as _______ as possible. Students usually _______ with a local family. This is a good opportunity to _______ your English and to learn a lot _______ everyday life. You should also try to mix with students from _______ countries. This will help you with _______ English, and will also show you how important English is for _______ communication.
IV. In three of the four words, the underlined part is pronounced in the same way. Find the other word, in which the underlined part is pronounced differently.
1. A. cost B. bored C. course D. tall
2. A. country B. fun C. summer D. truth
3. A. think B. those C. three D. thanks
4. A. height B. neighbour C. weight D. eight
5. A. song B. one C. long D. gone
6. A. person B. continue C. contribution D. condemn
7. A. captain B. capsule C. capture D. career
8. A. feast B. feasible C. fear D. lease
9. A. notable B. prone C. probable D. backbone
10. A. mountain B. again C. mail D. trainer
V. Finish each of the following sentences in such a way that it means the same as the sentence printed before it.
1. Although he is intelligent, he didn’t do well at school.
2. I regret not going to the airport to say goodbye to Sarah.
I wish ______________________________________
3. She couldn’t get to work because of the heavy storm.
The heavy storm _____________________________
4. “Who does that car belong to?”, the policeman asked us.
The policeman asked us ______________________________________
5. We couldn’t answer those two questions.
Those two questions ______________________________________
6. We last met in this hotel.
This is ______________________________________
VI. Choose the best answer to complete the sentences.
1. She finally decided _________ her children alone in the house.
A. not leaving B. do not leave C. not leave D. not to leave
2. It took the director two hours _______ .
A. explaining us the new plan B. to explain us the new plan
C. explaining the new plan to us D. to explain the new plan to us.
3. We have been informed that _______ animals at the zoo are starving to death.
A. most of B. What beautiful C. How beautiful D. How a beautiful
4. Here is that man _______ my brother is going to ________ .
A. who his daughter … marry B. whose daughter … marry with
C. whose daughter … marry D. whose daughter … marry
5. Electric trains can go very fast. Those travelling from Tokyo to Osaka, ____, can exceed a speed of 100 miles an hour.
A. for example B. for examples C. for the example D. for the examples
7. If everybody ________ the traffic rules, the road will be ________.
A. obey ………. much more safer B. obeys …………. much safer
C. obey ……… more safe D. obeys …………. more safer
8. “Are you sorry that you didn’t take this picture?” “Yes, I regret _______ any.”
A. not to take B. that I not take C. not taking D. to not taken
9. “I can’t understand how you missed the exit.” “Well, it was so dark ________ .”
A. we could see the road signs hardly B. hardly could we see the road signs
C. we could see hardly the road signs D. we could hardly see the road signs
10. I________ at her for several moments, desperately trying to remember where I’d seen her before.
A. watched B. glimpsed C. observed D. stared
11. If we continue to ________ the world’s resources at this rate, there’ll soon be none left.
A. having offered B. throw away C. damage D. use up
12. The front door got stuck. We have a difficult time _______ it.
A. open B. to open C. having opened D. opening
13. I have done the same ___________ you have.
A. that B. like C. which D. as
14. “Is it true ______ the law says there is no smoking in restaurants in this city?”
“Yes. That law was passed last year.”
A. that what B. what C. if D. that
15. Tom is sitting at his desk. He’s reading his chemistry text because he has a test tomorrow. He __________ .
A. could study B. should be studying C. will study D. must be studying
16. When I kept getting unwanted calls, I called the phone company and had my phone number ______. The process was easier than I expected it to be.
A. change B. changed C. to change D. changing
17. Jean should seriously consider ______ an actress. She is a very talented performer.
A. to become B. become C. becoming D. will become
18. ______ television to the exclusion of all activities is not a healthy habit for a growing child.
A. To be watched B. Being watched C. Watching D. Watch
19.I truly appreciated ______ to give the commencement address, but I wasn’t able to accept the honour because of a previous commitment.
A. asking B. to ask C. to have asked D. having been asked
20. My roommate’s handwriting is very bad, so he had me ______ his paper for him last night.
A. to type B. to type C. to have typed D. typed
21. ________ of them has come on time.
A. No one B. Not one C. No D. Even one
22. They discovered the cause of the fire accidentally. They discovered it ________.
A. chancefully B. Fortunately C. by chance D. luckily
23. In this way, he was able to solve the mystery. ________ he did it.
A. That’s so B. Like this C. That’s how D. So
24 After he had researched and _______ his paper, he found some additional material that he should have included.
A. wrote B. written C. writing D. have written
25 He felt that he was destine ________ something great.
A. for B. by C. at D. with
26 ________ the way, don’t forget out meeting next week.
A. Through B. At C. By D. With
27 “Are you leaving?” “Yes, but I wish I ________ to go.”
A. didn’t have B. will not have C. don’t have D. may not have
28 “Have you finished you work?” “No, I haven’t and ________.”
A. she has not to B. neither she has C. neither has she D. she has either
29 It was the oldest car taking part. There wasn’t ________ one.
A. an older B. the oldest C. an elder D. the eldest
30 It was different from modern cars. It wasn’t ________ modern cars.
A. the same as B. the same with C. same with D. same as
31 They will attempt to leave. That’s what they’ll ________ to do.
A. taste B. make C. experiment D. try
32 The spaceship will be stationary. It will be ________.
A. stationery B. still C. mobile D. unmoved
33 The noun from “to obey” is ________.
A. obeying B. obesity C. obedient D. obedience
34 Brian urged me to accept a cigarette. He tried to ________ me to have one.
A. make B. pursue C. persuade D. do
35 Pierre speaks English well and so ________.
A. Lucy speaks B. speaks Lucy C. Lucy does D. does Lucy
36 He isn’t going to learn Spanish and ________.
A. so isn’t she B. neither is she C. she isn’t too D. either she isn’t
37 He is ________ for her. He’s over 70.
A. too much B. old too much C. much too old D. much old
38 You must try to make ________ their teeth.
A. these children clean B. these children C. these children to clean D. these children cleaning
39 My sister was born ________.
A. at 1975 B. on April, 1975 C. 1975, at April D. in April, 1975
VII. Put each of the following words or phrases in its correct place in the passage below.
references , short-list, experience, vacancy, qualifications, fill in, application forms, interview, applicants, apply
In times of high unemployment there are usually very many (1) _______________ when a (2) _______________ is advertised. Sometimes large numbers of people (3) _______________ and send off (4) _______________ for a single job. It is not unusual, in fact, for hundreds of people to (5) _______________ to a firm for one post. This number is reduced to a (6) _______________ of perhaps six or eight, from whom a final choice is made when they all attend an (7) _______________. Very possibly the people interviewing will be interested in the (
___________ the candidates gained at school or university and what (9) _______________ they have had in previous jobs. They will probably ask for (10) _______________ written by the candidates' teachers and employers.
VIII. In three of the four words, the underlined part is pronounced in the same way. Find the other word, in which the underlined part is pronounced differently.
1. A. rather B. sacrifice C. hard D. farther
2. A. decided B. hatred C. sacred D. warned
3. A. than B. theatre C. theory D. through
4. A. water B. warm C. bank D. war
5. A. loneliness B. worried C. smoke D. host
6. A. naked B. sacred C. needed D. walked
7. A. paradise B. saturate C. malaria D. standard
IX. Complete each sentence with a word formed from the word in capitals.
1. She found a good job working in an _______ agency. ADVERTISEMENT
2. He is enthusiastic, but not well- ______ QUALIFICATIONS
5. Include details of all your ________ for last years. EARN
6. Write all the details on this ________ form. APPLY
X. Rewrite each of the following sentences in such a way that it means exactly the same as the sentence printed below it.
1. We have made great progress in our economy in the last few years.
Great progress .............................................................
2. The mechanic is going to repair my motorbike next week.
I am going ...........................................................................
3. I can't cook as well as my mother does.
My mother ...........................................................................
4. I had only just put the phone down when the boss rang back.
5. My secretary works better when she has little time.
The less .........................................................................
TESTS FOR GIFTED STUDENTS - SAMPLE 2
I. Read the following passage and answer the questions.
World history shows that civilisation today is the product of many cultures. For thousands of years, various peoples have borrowed ideas and inventions from each other. Throughout most of world history, the most important regions for new ideas and inventions were the Middle East, Egypt, India, and China. But during Modern Times--the period of the last 500 years-Western civilisation has made rapid progress, while other civilisations lagged. During Modern Times, the flow of ideas and inventions has swept from West to East. The development of world-wide systems of communication and transportation conquered barriers of time and distance.
Mankind's progress through the centuries has been marked by many changes, and every generation has faced the challenge of serious problems. Great civilisations have developed, flourished for a time, and then collapsed. International disputes have brought on terrible wars. In every age, millions of persons have suffered hunger and hardship, while others enjoyed prosperity. Today, we live in the greatest civilisation of all times. But war and widespread poverty still are the most important problems of mankind. Man has greater knowledge and more technological power than ever before. As a result, he probably has a better chance to meet the challenge of today than any generation of the past.
1. Find in the text the synonym of various, quick, prosper, growth, human beings, difficulties
2. Which of the following statements is/are correct?
a) The Western and Eastern cultures are different from each other.
b) World history shows that Eastern culture was based on Western one.
c) Wars were caused by cultural differences.
d) There have been rich and poor people in all ages.
e) Technology has caused more problems than ever before.
f) Modern people can solve their problems more easily than before.
3. According to the author, what are the most important issues of the world today?
II. Put the verb in brackets in the correct form.
Suzanne (come) _______ in a few minutes ago (look) _______ as if she (see) _______ a ghost. She (tell) _______ me what (happen) _______. "I (walk) _______ along the street," she said, "when I (approach) _______ by someone who (ask) _______ me what the time (be) _______. On (hear) _______ him (speak) _______, I (have) _______ the feeling that we (meet) _______ before. After we (speak) _______ for some time, I (discover) _______ that the person (be) _______ none other than my younger brother, who I (think) _______ (die) _______ during the war. If he (not speak) _______ to me, it is probable that we (may never learn) _______ of each other's existence.
III. Put the following sentences into Reported Speech.
1. I said to him, “Don’t take off your coat, please.”
2. She said to me, “Please give me your luggage.”
3. Tom said, “Shut the door but don’t lock it, Peter.”
4. He said, “Please do my homework, Mary.”
5. He said to them, “Let’s do something for Bill right now.”
6. They said to me, “We are going to leave. Would you like to come to our party?”
IV. Choose the infinitive or –ing form for the verbs in brackets.
1. I really miss (play) __________ tennis like I used to.
2. I'm sorry. I meant (write) __________ to you, but I've been busy.
3. Harry says he doesn't remember (meet) __________ Sally before.
4. Martin failed (pay) __________ the rent on time yet again.
5. It's not worth (buy) __________ a return ticket.
6. Have you ever considered (work) __________ as a teacher.
7. I promise I won't forget (feed) __________ the cat.
8. We've arranged (meet) __________ outside the school at 4.30.
9. If you've got a headache, why don't you try (take) __________ an aspirin?
10. I can't imagine (not have) __________ a car!
V. The following passage is based on part of the text. Write down a suitable preposition for each numbered space.
________ 1920 and 1970, the proportion _______ the world’s population living _______ towns and cities increased ________ 19 percent _______ 37 percent. Thus _______ that period _______ 50 years, world urbanisation increased _________ 18 percent. It is estimated that ________ the year 2000, more than a half _______ the world’s population will probably be living __________ urban areas. This means an increase _______ _______ least 14 percent _______ 30 years _______ 1950 _______ 1980. ________ 1950, only one city ________ the Third World had a population ________ over 5 million. ________ the year 2000 it is estimated that there will be 40 cities ______ or above this size, compared ______ only 12 ______ the industrial countries.
VI. Complete the text with ONE suitable word.
Alexander Graham Bell was born in 1847 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father was an (1) __________ in phonetics, the study of the sounds of languages. (2) __________ a boy, Alexander became interested in sounds and speech. In 1870 the Bells decided to (3) __________ to America. They lived in Bos¬ton, (4) __________ Alexander taught in a school for the deaf. There he began (5) __________ with a machine to help the deaf hear. While experimenting with this machine, Bell had an idea. Why do not(6) __________ electricity to send the human voice from one place to another? Bell began work on a new invention. For years Bell and his (7) __________,Thomas Watson, worked day and night. They rented rooms in a boarding house. Bell was on one floor, and Watson was on (
__________. They tried to send speech (9__________ a wire. Finally, on March 19, 1876, Watson heard these words very clearly: "Mr. Watson, come here. I want you." Watson rushed (10) __________ , ran into Bell's room, and shouted, "I heard you!". That year was the centennial , or 100th (11) __________, of the United States. There was a large fair in Philadelphia, called the Centennial Exposition. One of the main (12) __________ at the exposition was Bell's "talking machine." Thousands of visitors, (13) __________ Don Pedro, the emperor of Brazil, were surprised when they saw and heard this invention. But they still thought it was (14) __________ an interesting toy. They didn't know that one day this talking machine would become the (15) __________ and would change people's lives.
VI. In three of the four words, the underlined part is pronounced in the same way. Find the other word, in which the underlined part is pronounced differently.
1. A. drier B. cycle C. psychologist D. circle
2. A. count B. plough C. outer D. though
3. A. stomach B. another C. polish D. tiresome
4. A. coward B. dawn C. shower D. cloudy
5. A. purpose B. prose C. propose D. enclose
6. A. notable B. potable C. rotate D. nothing
7. A. normality B. forget C. formation D. shortage
8. A. consolidate B. certificate C. delicate D. climate
VII. Fill each space with the correct form of the word in capital.
1. Is it possible to ________ between a hobby and an in¬terest? DISTINCT
2. Nowadays ________ numbers of people are taking up jogging. INCREASE
3. She was extremely _____ about the history of China. KNOWLEDGE
4. I’d love to see you next week, but _______, it won’t be possible. FORTUNATE
5. The only thing I hate about John is his __________ . RELIABLE
6. If your work is ________, you will get a longer contract. SATISFY
7. It was a complete __________ due to a poor planning. FAIL
8. The students were not _______ to take extra lessons. COURAGE
9. Most girls are _________ of spiders. TERRIFY
10. We intend to move out of this city because we have been ________ disturbed by the traffic noise. CONSTANT
VIII. Put the word in brackets in the correct form.
I am constantly (AMAZE) __________ at the number of people who collect things. One friend other day showed me a (COLLECT) __________ of shells which he has; another a few weeks ago a whole volume of early (ILLUSTRATE) __________ of the (INHABIT) __________ of different countries (DRAW) __________ by the (EXPLORE) __________ who first met them. like most habits, the habits of collecting is usually (PLAN) __________. often sat some time in (CHILD) __________, the potential collector suddenly notices that he or she had a number of rocks, for example. Up to that time, the (ACQUIRE) __________ of these had begun to learn something of his subject – archaeology.
IX. Put the following utterances into the correct order.
1. Oh, it’s all right really. I knew something must have happened. I couldn’t ring you.
2. Don’t be silly. Of course I wasn’t put out. I still hope you have got a good excuse for leaving standing outside the cinema.
3. Oh, I’m very sorry Anna. But I got trouble last light.
The car broke down? Then an accident? Where are you ringing from now?
5. You must have been very angry then.
6. Which hospital? I’ll come to see you right now!
7. Hello, John. I’m glad you have rung. I’ve been worried about you. You didn’t turn up last night. What happened?
8. My car broken down and then I got an accident.
X. For each of the following sentences, write another sentence as similar as possible in meaning.
1. It is expected that tax increases will be announced tomorrow.
Tax increases _________________________________ .
2. We can’t deny that we made certain mistakes early on.
It ___________________________________________ .
3. Police reported that a man had been helping them with their investigation.
A man _______________________________________ .
4. I am amazed by the mistake he made.
What ________________________________________ .
5. I left without saying goodbye as I didn’t want to disturb the meeting
Rather _______________________________________ .
6. He was sentenced to six months in prison for his part on the robbery.
He received __________________________________ .
7. My shoes need to be cleaned before the interview.
I must _______________________________________ .
8. Passengers are not allowed to smoke on this flight at any time.
At __________________________________________ .
XI. Choose the word, phrase or sentence that best completes each unfinished sentence below.
1. When will he begin to teach? ________ he’s finished his training.
A. As soon as B. Until C. How that D. So long as
2. He _______ the basis course before he took the advanced one.
A. has taken B. would take C. had taken D. should take
3. He asked me how my brother was. “How ________ ?” he said.
A. is your brother B. your brother was C. your brother is D. was your brother
4. The office was so dirty as if it ______ for months.
A. had been swept B. hadn’t swept C. would haven’t swept D. haven’t been swept
5. I will have your car ______ soon.
A. repaired B. repairing C. to repair D. being repaired
6. My husband spent weeks ______ our child _________ pronounce correctly.
A. to teach/ how to B. teaching/ pronouncing
C. teaching/ how to pronounce D. to teach/ to pronounce
7. Many foreign visitors love _______ coffee.
A. immediately B. instant C. quick D. fast
8. The operation is usually preformed by a _______ .
A. doctor B. dentist C. operator D. surgeon
9. _______ the people in our village buy meat every day.
A. Just a few B. Only some C. Not much of D. Not many of
10. It was mainly for this reason they decided to do it. ________ they decided to do it.
A. For this B. That’s why C. Because D. In this way
11. Why _______ a new city built?
A. they have B. have they C. they did have D. did they have
12. I was lucky to find a parking ______ outside the back.
A. region B. field C. space D. slot
13. The strike will last for a week. That’s what ______ people believe.
A. most of B. the most of C. the more D. most
14. One or two people have objected _____ the students.
A. at B. for C. to D. against
15. He ______ arrive at the office on time.
A. used always to B. always used to C. used to always D. uses to
16. “Are you a bus driver?” “No, not any more, but I ______.”
A. used to B. use to C. used to be D. use to be
17. We have made an appointment to see the manager. In the passive voice, it should read:
A. The manger has been made an appointment to see us. B. The manager has been seen to make an appointment
C. An appointment to see the manager has been made.
D. An appointment has been made to see the manager
18. The director ______ and now he is visiting the workshop.
A. is arriving B. arrived C. Has arrived D. had arrived
19. The firm couldn’t pay _______ large salaries.
A. so B. such a C. such D. a such
20. ______ is it? It’s your turn.
A. Which B. To whom C. Whom D. Whose
21. The waiter lent him a book. He ______ a book from the waiter.
A. lent B. borrowed C. took D. stole
22. The police will have a difficult time ________ .
A. as usually B. as usual C. than usual D. from usual
23. When did you ______ see him?
A. recently B. already C. last D. lately
24. There were fewer people in the shop than usual. There were ________ .
A. as many as usual B. not many as usual C. as few as usual D. more than usual
25. The painting was beautiful. I stood there ______ it for a long time.
A for admiring B. being admired C. admire D. admiring
26. Active: No one has ever asked me that question before. Passive: ____________________
A. That question has ever been asked me by no one before
B. That question has never been asked me before by anyone.
C. I have not ever been asked that question before.
D. I have never been asked that question before.
27. My new glasses cost me _______ the last pair that I bought.
A. times three B. three times more than C. three times as much as D. as much three times as
28. After Joe’s mother died, he was _______ up by his grandmother.
A. grown B. taken C. brought D. drawn
29. I began to work here _______ January ________ they 1980.
A. on/ in B. at / in C. in / in D. in / at
30. I shall be ready _______ a moment.
A. for B. in C. with D. on
31. If someone is in your way, he is _________ .
A. interfering in your affair B. blocking your path C. listening to your advice D. all are correct
32. If I do something in vain, I do it ______ .
A. without success B. with success C. without care D. with care