1. The villagers prepared themselves to withstand the coming storm ( braced)
~> THE VILLAGERS BRACED THEMSELVES FOR THE COMING STORM.
2. Are you implying that he is a theif ? (infer)
~> AM I TO INFER THAT (YOU THINK) HE IS A THIEF?
3. All tenants must act in accordance with the regulations about guests (comply)
~> ALL TENANTS MUST COMPLY WITH THE REGULATIONS ABOUT GUESTS.
4. He became famous when his first book was published ( publication)
~> HE BECAME FAMOUS ON THE PUBLICATION OF HIS FIRST BOOK.
5. The authorities had decided they would get tough with dissidents (crackdown)
~> THE AUTHORITIES HAD DECIDED ON A CRACKDOWN ON DISSIDENTS.
6. The headmaster has a very good opinion of the physics teacher (esteem)
~> THE HEADMASTER HOLDS THE PHYSICS TEACHER IN HIGH ESTEEM.
7. He himself admits to a fear of spiders .(admission)
~> BY/ON HIS OWN ADMISSION, HE IS AFRAID OF SPIDERS.
8. She told Arthur exactly what she thought of what he had done (ticking-off)
~> SHE GAVE ARTHUR A TICKING-OFF (FOR WHAT HE HAD DONE).
9. The worst is over now .(through)
~> WE ARE THROUGH THE WORST NOW.
10. The committee members said they would remain loyal to the Chairman (pledged)
~> THE COMMITTEE MEMBERS PLEDGED THEIR LOYALTY TO THE CHAIRMAN.