CLINCHES AND IDIOMS
1. I could hardly believe my eyes = người nói ngạc nhiên khi thấy gì đó.
2. look who's talking = người nói ngụ ý rằng người mà chỉ trích hay phàn nàn, hay có ý nghĩ sai lầm về người nói (speaker) nên nhìn lại bản thân người đó trước khi lên tiếng.
3. I can't help it = I can't make it. I can't do that right now.
EX: A: Now take a seat and relax.
B: I'm sorry. I can't help it.
4. (a) piece of cake = very easy (slang).
ex: No, it won't be any trouble. It's (a) piece of cake.
5. at the drop of a hat = ngay lập tức và không cần sự nài nỉ nào
ex: If you need help, just call me. I can come at the drop of a hat.
6. bump into someone ( also run into ) = to chance on someone- tình cờ gặp một ai đó
ex: I bumped into her at the station yesterday..
7. call it a day = kết thúc công việc và về nhà; hoặc có ý nói rằng ngày làm việc đã kết thúc ( hoàn thành)
ex: The boss was mad because Tom called it a day at noon and went home. ( chúng ta cũng có thể dùng call it a night ).
8. chip in = đóng góp một khoản tiền nhỏ vào một quỹ để có thể dùng tiền đó mua cái gì đó trong tương lai.
ex: Would you care to chip in on a gift for the teacher?
9. clear up = trở nên thoáng đãng và có ánh nắng ( thường được nói về thời tiết).
ex: If it clears up, I will go for a picnic.
10. come around = bắt đầu thay đổi quan điểm cá nhân ; bắt đầu đồng ý với
ex: I thought he'd never agreed, but in the end he came around.
11. cost a fortune = cost a lot of money
ex: I'll bet the diamond cost a fortune.
12. for hours on end or for days on end = for many hours ( or days )
ex: We kept on travelling for days on end.
13. in one's ( or the ) blood = được hình thành từ trong tính cách của ai đó.
ex: John's a great runner. It's in his blood.
14. get in(to) hot water = gặp khó khăn hay rắc rối
ex: When you start trying to build your own computer, you are getting into hot water.
15. get (something) off the ground = làm cái gì đó được bắt đầu, hay bắt đầu để thành công.
ex: I can relax after I get this project off the ground.
16. go over someone's head =to be difficult for someone to understand.
ex: All that talk about computers went over my head.
I hope my lecture didn't go over your heads
17. goes without saying = is so obvious that it need not be said.
ex: It goes without saying that you are to wear formal clothing to dinner each evening.
Of course. That goes without saying.
18. hit it off ( with someone ) = nhanh chóng trở thành bạn tốt của ai đó.
ex: after their accidental meeting on the train, they really hit it off.
19. just what the doctor ordered = chuẩn như những gì đã yêu cầu. ( thường dùng trong vấn đề sức khỏe)
ex: That meal war delicous, Bob. Just what the doctor ordered.
20. learn something by heart = học thuộc lòng
cái này miễn ví dụ nhé
21. lend someone a hand or lend a hand (to someone ) = giúp đỡ ai đó
ex: could you lend me a hand with this math assignment?
22. like a breeze = cái gì đó đơn giản và dễ làm
ex: Riding a horse is like a breeze.
23. music to one's ears = cái gì đó nghe có vẻ dễ chịu.
ex: Well, listen to the sound of the creek and the wind in the trees. It's like music to my ears.
24. on edge = lo lắng
ex: I have really been on edge lately.
25. on end = liên tiếp, không nghỉ ngơi
ex: He has been up late nights on end.
26. turn in = đi ngủ
cái này miễn ví dụ nhé
27. take someone or something into account = to remember to consider someone or something.
ex: I hope you will take Bill and Bob into account when you plan the party.
ex: I'll try to take into account all the things that are important in a situation like this.
28. slowly but surely = chậm mà chắc
cái này miễn ví dụ nhé
29. run-of-the-mill = thông thường , trung bình, tiêu biểu
ex: The restaurant we when to was nothing spe.
1. I'll second that = người nói hoàn toàn đồng ý với những gì người kia đã nói.
A: I think someone of us could do with coffee.
B: I'll second that.
2. Is it ever! = người nói muốn nhấn mạnh sự đồng ý của anh ta với những gì người kia nói.
A; It is cold tonight.
B: Is it ever!
3. Nothing like somone though! = người nói không đồng ý với lời bình luận của người khác.
A: John is intelligent.
B: Nothing like his brother Tom though!
4. not on my account = người nói từ chối lời đề nghị.
A: Shall I take you home?
B: Not on my account.
5. that's not necessarily so. =người nói ko đồng ý với quan điểm của người khác về gì đó.
A: The project will never work at all.
B: That's not necessarily so.
6. Wasn't it, though! = người nói đồng ý với những gì người kia đã nói.
A: It was a windy night.
B: wasn't it, though!
7. Who wouldn't? = người nói phát biểu ý kiến giống người kia về gì đó.
A: I really like this blue car.
B: Who wouldn't?
8. You're not even warm = bạn đoán sai rồi.
Ex: You're not even warm. Let me give you a hint.
1. a stone's thow (away from something) (also within a stone's thow of something) = không xa, rất gần với gì đó.
ex: We live in Carbondale, and that's just a stone's thow from the Missisippi River.
2. as usual = như thường lệ.
ex: he stood quietly as usual, waiting for the bus to come.
3. be bound to do something = to be certain to do something = chắc chắn làm gì
ex: They are bound to come home soon. They always come home early.
4. be cut for ( also cut out to be) = phù hợp với gì đó
ex: Tom was not cut out for blanking or Tom was not cut out to be a blanker.
5. break the news to someone = nói với ai đó tin quan trọng, thường là tin xấu
ex: The doctor had to break the news to Jane about her husband's cancer.
6. by and large = usually, generally.
ex: I find that, by and large, people tend to do what they are told to do.
7. come out of something = vượt qua tình huống khó khăn
ex: They came out of a sea of sorrow.
8. fight about something = cố gắng làm việc đề thắng hoặc vượt qua cái gì đó
A: Did they reach the agreement on that issue?
B: Finally they did - affter they fount about it all day.
9. follow in someone's footsteps or someone's tracks = noi gương ai đó, thừa nhận việc làm của ai đó.
ex: she followed in her father's footsteps and went into medicine.
10. go with something = to go well with something ; to choose something
ex: Mild doesn't go with grapefruit.
ex: I think I'll go with the yellow one.
11. in the same boat ( as someone ) = cùng một tình huống
A: I'm broke. Can you lend me 20 dollars?
B: sorry, I'm in the same boat.
12. not think much of something = không giốnng gì đó ; không có quan điểm tốt về gì đó
A: How do you like American food.
B: Oh, no I don't think much of it.
13. pull one's leg = chơi khăm ai đó
ex: You don't mean that. You're just pull ing my leg.
Don't believe him. He's just pullng your leg.
14. run across someone or something or come across = tình cờ gặp
15. save someone's breath = kiềm chế nói chuyện, cãi vã, giải thích
ex: there is no sense in trying to convince her. Save your breath.
16. serve someone right ( for an act or event ) = xử phạt công bằng
ex: John copied off my reast paper. It would serve him right if he fails the test.
17. sing another tune or a different tune = thay đổi tính cách ai đó, thường là từ xấu thành tốt
ex: When she learned that I was a bank director, she began to sing another tune.
You will sing a different tune as soon as you find out how right I am.
18. smelling like a rose or roses = có cái nhìn tốt hay tôn trọng sau khi vướng phải những tình huống khó khăn ( giống như thời xin tiền bố mẹ, giờ tự làm ra tiền sẽ quí đồng tiền hơn )
ex: It was a nasty piulitical campaign, but Al Gore and John W.Bush came up smelling like roses.
19. stand out = dễ thấy
ex: Exotic computer stands out as one of the best available.
20. take after someone = trông giống
ex: don't you think that Sally takes after her mother?
21. Under the weather = bệnh
ex: I'm a bit under the weather today, so I can't go to the office.
22. work out = tập thể dục
ex: working out a lot gives me a big appetite.
24. work on something = sửa, xây dựng hay hiệu chỉnh gì đó
ex: The carpenter worked on the fence for three hours
cial - just run-of-the-mill.
1. don't be so sure = the person doesn't agree about what the other person says. Đừng có chắc vậy!
2. I couldn't agree more = I totally agree with you. Tôi hoàn toàn đồng ý với bạn
3. I couldn't fell better about it = I am really pleased = Tôi thực sự hài lòng
4. I don't mind = never mind = không sao =đừng có lo
5. I'll bet = certainly, sure, that's right = chắc chắn
6. it couldn't hurt to do something =It's not harmful for s.o to do s.th
ex: It couldn't hurt to ask him for help.
7. not again = means that the speaker isn't pleased with repeated behavior or activities
A: John wanted to borrow another 2000$ from you.
B: Not again.
8. Who cares? = means it isn't important that s.o might be offended for your decision. =Thì sao nào, ai quan tâm đến vấn đề đó chứ?
A: I'd like to come over you, but I'm afraid your parents won't be pleased.
B: Who cares?
9. you don't mean it = means that the speaker is surprised or doesn't want to believe in what has been said or what has happend. = người nói ngạc nhiên hoặc ko muốn tin những gì đã đc nói hay đã xảy ra
A: Very few students have showed up.
B: You don't mean it.
1. as a matter of fact = actually, in addition to what has been said. =Thực ra
ex: I'm not a poor worker. As a matter of fact I'm very efficient.
2. be cramming for s.th = to be very busy with s.th.
ex: I've been cramming for my study for final exams next week.
3. be paid up until = s.o has one's rent paid until = có tiền trả nhà thuê đến khi
ex: She is paid up until next summer.
4. be supposed to do s.th = expected or intended to do s.th; obliged or allowed to do s.th = được mong đợi / bắt buộc để làm gì đó
ex: Mom says you are supposed to come inside for dinner now.
5. be swamped with s.th = to be very busy with
ex: He has been swamped with work lately.
6. break in = to enterd forcibly or unexpectedly = đột nhập
ex: S.o broke in the shop window last night.
7. catch cold = to become sick, cold = bị cảm ( lạnh)
ex: I caught cold, so I didn't show up the meeting.
8. drop by = to come and visit at some future time. = ghé nhà thăm
ex: I would like you to drop by.
9. drop s.o off = to let s.o get off the bus or out of ther car = để ai đó ra khỏi xe buýt hay xe hơi
ex: Could you drop me off at the post office on the way?
10. go on = to continue as a command = tiếp tục
ex: Oh go on! You're just trying to flatter me.
11. go to the trouble of doing s.th ( also to do s.th ) = to endure the bother of doing s.th = giải quyết hay vướng phải rắc rối về việc gì đó
ex: I really don't want to go to the trouble of cooking.
12. feel up to s.th = to feel well enough or prepare enough to do s.th.
ex: I don't feel up to jogging to day.
13. fill s.o's shoes = to take the place of some other person and do that person's work satisfactorily. = đảm nhận vị trí của ai đó và làm công việc của người đó một cách hoàn mĩ.
ex: I don't know how we'll be able to do without you. No one can fill your shoes.
14. have a huch = to have a guess or feeling not base on known facts. = đoán
ex: I have a hunch that he won't come.
15. It (doesn't ) make ( any ) sense for S.o to do = it (doesn't ) seem reasonable or practical for s.o to do s.th. Nó (không ) có ý nghĩa đối với ai đó làm việc gì đó
ex: It doesn't make any sense for us to spend a spring vacation in our home town this year.
16. make the most of s.th = to make s.th appear as good as possible ; to exploit s.th; to get as much out of s.th as is possible. = làm gì đó tốt nhất có thể
ex: Mary knows how to make the most of her talents.
17. make s.th out ( a form, a check, receipt...) = to write on all the necessary information.
ex: She made a check out for 2000$.
18. money burns a hole in s.o's pocket = s.o spends as much money as possible. = ai đó tiêu xài (tiền ) vô độ
ex: Sally can't seem to save anything. Money burns a hole in her pocket.
ex: if money burns a hole in your pocket, you never have any for emergencies.
19. not by a long shot = not by a great amount; Not ( informal ) = Chưa được, còn phải cố gắng nhiều
ex: A: Did I win the race? B: Not by along shot.
20. not sit still = a person is worried and nervous about s.th or s.o = một người lo lắng, buồn phiền về gì đó
ex: A: You don't seem to be able to sit still today ( hôm nay bạn trông có vẻ lo lắng chứ không phải là không lo lắng nhé. What's up?
B: Today. I'm taking the final exams.
21. out of order = not operating; broken. = hư, hỏng , không làm việc được
22. out of stock = not immediately available in a store; ( for goods ) to be temporarily unavailable. = Hiện thời không có
ex: Thoes items are out of stock, but a new supply will be delevered on Thursday.
Ex: I'm sorry, but the red ones are out of stock. Would the blue ones do?
23. Put in a good word ( for s.o ) = to say s.th ( to s.o ) in support of s.o nói tốt cho ai đó (với một người nào đó - nếu có )
ex: I hope you get the job. I'll put in a good word for you.
24. show up = to arrive = to come = to make an apprearance = đến , hiện diện
1. Don't tempt me! = dont' try to persuade me!
ex: A: let's go watch fireworks in Central London.
B: Please don't tempt me, I'm taking the final exame next week.
2. Don't ask me = I don't know
3. I hear you = I see ; the listener understand the speaker's point of view.= hiểu rồi
4. I'll say = of course; I comletely agree with it.
5. no wonder = no doubt; means the information is logical.
ex: A: She is considerate to you.
B: No wonder you like her.
6. Please say you didn't! = No, I won't do it.
7. They usually do the job = you should do it in the way they usually do.
8. Were you even wrong! = you are wrong.
9. what's the point? = means that the speaker does not believe that the suggestion will be helpful or useful or good.
ex: A: You'd better go to the bank manager.
B: what's the point?
1. a change of pace = an addition of some variety of one's life.
ex: Going to the beach on the weekend will be a change of pace.
. The doctor says I need a change of pace.
2. be about to = to ready or going to.= cái này sử dụng như thì tương lai RẤT GẦN
ex: I was about to leave.
3. call on s.o = to visit s.o
ex: Bill called on his brother in the hospital.
4. come by = to get or to pay a visit.
ex: you should see the apartment in my building - You know, one of my neighbors is moving out. Come by and I'll bring you to his place.
5. Come along = to proceed, to arrive.
ex: How did the interview come along?
Something better will come along.
6. cost an arm and a leg = to cost too much.
ex: The car cost an arm and a leg, so I didn't by it.
7. fall through = not to happen; to come to no end.= không xảy ra hay không có hồi kết
ex: our plans fell through, and we won't be going to Texas after all.
8. bak s.o up = to help or support s.o
ex: I would like to back up John in the discussion.
9. get down to business or work = to begin to get serious; to begin to negotiate, to conduct business.= nghiêm túc vào công việc
ex: They're all here. Let's get down to business.
10. get rid of s.o or s.th = to get free of s.o or s.th; to dispose of or destroy s.o or s.th = giải thoát khỏi , tiêu diệt gì đó
ex: I'm trying to get rid of Mr.Smith. He's bothering me.
ex: I'll be happy when I get rid of my old car.
11. get the ball rolling ( also set, start or have instead of get ) = to start s.th; to get some process going. = bắt đầu gì đó
ex: I got the ball rolling, but no one helped me with the project. ( trong trường hợp này là dự án)
12. go into effect or take effect (for a law or a rule ) = to become effective; to start to function. = có hiệu lực
ec: The new rax laws won't go into effect until next year.
13. go over s.th = to review or explain s.th.
ex: The teacher went over the lesson.
ex: Will you please go over this form? I don't understand it.
14. Hold off on s.th = to delay action on a matter, as in awaiting additional information.
ex: Please hold off on this report until I consult my lawyer.
15. in the mood of s.th or in the mood to do s.th = having the proper state of mind for a particular situation or doing s.th. = trong tâm trạng tốt để làm gì đó
ex: I'm not in the mood to see a movie tonight.
15. keep up with s.o or s.th = to advance at the same rate as s.o or s.th
ex: I don't make enought money to keep up with your spending.
17. kind of = quite, rather
ex: kind of beautiful, kind of slowly
18. make fun of s.th or s.o = to ridicule s.th or s.o= làm ai đó ngớ ngẩn
ex: Please stop making fun of me. It hurts my feelings.
19. make up one's mind = to decide
ex: She's mature enough to make up her own mind.
20. not worth mentioning = not worth apologizing for.
ex: This isn't a problem at all. It's not worth mentioning.
21. Over-the-counter medications = medicines that are not pescribed.
ex: Whenever I have headache, I try some over-the-counter medications first.
22. pack a change of clothes = to take extra clothes for change
ex: Please pack a change of clothes, Mum. I go Straight to the party from the office.
23. Put s.o out = to distress or inconvenience s.o
ex: I'd like to have a ride home, but not if it put you out.
24. put s.o or s.th down = to belittle or degrade s.o or s.th
ex: It's an old car, but that's no reason to put it down.
25.( something as ) a put down an insult.
ex: I didn't mean your stammer as a put down.
26. sell something out ( usually in passive form) = to sell all of s.th
ex: they have been sold out.
27. send out = to dítribute, to isue.
ex: please send out these letters as soon as posible
28. once and for all = finally and irreversibly.
ex: I want to get this problem settled once and for all.
29. speak up about s.th = to say s.th frankly an driectly
ex: this law is wrong, and I intend to speak up about it until t is repealed.
30. take s.th over = to take charge of s.th or s.o; to assume control of s.o or s.th.; to take s.th again
ex: The new manager will take the office over next week.
ex: I'll take this course over
31. turn out (that) = happen (that) ; end up (that)
ex: have you heard how the game turned out?
1.don't look at me = i don't intend to do it.
2. how come? or I wonder how come = why
3. I doubt it = I don't believe it
4. I couldn't have done better = it's very good
5. There is no way around it = no way about it
1. account for s.th = to give satisfactory reasons or an explanation.
ex: can he account for his action?
2. at best or at most = in the best way; in the most positive judment; as the best one can say.
ex: I believe her to be totally negligent. Her actions were careless at best.
ex: At the best we found their visit pleasantly short.
3. All the same or just the same ( to s.o ) = of no consequence to s.o; immaterial to s.o, it's no matter
ex: It's all the same to me whether we win or lose.
4. come in ( on arrangement ) = to join a group of other people and take part in what they are planning to do
ex: You should come in on the deal.
5. come over = happen to or resize
ex: A change has sure come over you.
6. dirt cheap = extremely cheap.
ex: Peaches are dirt cheap in season.
7. fall through = not to happen; to come to nothing
ex: Our plans fell through, and we won't be going to Texas after all.
8. fresh out of or clean out of s.th = just now having sold or used up the last of s.th
ex: Sorry, I can't serve you scrambled eggs. We are fresh out of eggs.
9. go from bad to worse = to progress from a bad state to a worse state
ex: My cold is awful. It went from bad to worse in just an hour.
10. go out of business = not to work, run or operate
ex: That restaurant goes out of business.
11. get in touch with s.o = to communicate with s.o
ex: I have to get in touch with John and ask him to come over for a visit.
12. give s.o a hand with s.th = to help s.o with s.th, often with the hands
13. have (got) a clue (about s.th ) = to know anything about s.th
ex: I don't have a clue about where to start looking for Jim.
14. a person or a thing gets off to a promising start or flying start = a person starts s.th very well for expample a race or a new job; the things starts very well
ex: he got off to a promising start and slowed down towards the end of the race.
ex: The report got off to a promising starts, but it didn't make sense at the end.
16. just through word of mouth or by word of mouth = by speaking rather than writing
ex: I learned about it by word of mouth.
17. keep a straight face = to mak one's face stay free from smiles of laugter.
ex: It's hard to keep a straight face when s.o tells a funny joke.
18. off-season = not in the busy time of year.
ex: we don't have much to do off -season.
19. make sense = to be understandable to s.o
ex: John doesn't make sense.
ex: what John says makes sense
20. on one's own = alone = by oneself
ex: Did you do it on your own?
21. or so = an approximate amount or period of time.
ex: I only have an hour or so.
22. out of one's depth = difficult or clever for s.o to understand or do s.th
ex: A: Have you enrolled on a math course?
B: Oh, I'm afraid I'm out of my depth
23. (it) pour(s) the minute = it rains.
ex: It starts to pour the minute.
24. Pushover = s.th is easy for yo to go or to get; s.o is easy to persuade or influence.
ex: The English exam was a pushover this year.
25. So far so good = all is going well up to now.
26. stock up on s.th = to build up a supply of s.th
ex: before the first snow, we always stock up on firewood.
27. straitghten s.o or s.th up = to tide s.o or s.th
ex: John straightened himself up a little before going on stage.
28. to put it mildly = to understate s.th; to say s.th politely
ex: To put it mildly, she was arngy with you.
29. take it easy = goodbye and take care of yourself; to be gentle
ex: Bye, Tome. Take it easy.
ex: Take it easy on Mary.
30. take time out for s.th = to have time to do s.th
ex: I wish we could take time out for his farewell party
31. wind up ( going s.where ) = to end up s.where; to finish at a certain place
ex: I fell and hurt myself, and I wound up in the hospital
1. I'll pass = to say "no" to decline someone's offer.
ex: A: Want to join us to night.
B: I'll pass, thanks.
2. You bet = absolutely, certainly, of course.
ex: A: her dog is cuddly.
B: You bet he is.
3. You can count on me = I'll support you.
ex: I do hope this time you back me up.
B: You can count on me.
4. That would help = that would be possible.
1. Back up a life or data = to save a file as a second copy to be on the safe side.
ex: My computer back up the date automatically.
2. back s.o or s.th up = to support s.o or s.th; to concur with s.o
ex: Please back me up in this argument.
ex: I would like you to back up John in this discussion.
3. break down = to fall a part; to stop operating.
4. break out in s.th = to erupt with s.th such as a rash, a cold sweat. or pimples.
ex: When I ea chocolate, I break out in pimples
5. check out = to be verfiled or authenticated.
ex: There are a few openings at that restaurant. Check out there.
6. cool off or cool down = (a) to lose or reduce heat.
ex: I wish my soup would cooled off, I'm hungry.
(b) = to let one's anger dies away.
ex: I'm sorry I got angry. I'll cool off in a minute.
(c) = to let one's passion or love dies away.
ex: a: is Bob still in love with Jane?
B: No, he's cooled off alot.
7. come up with s.th or s.o = to find or supply s.th or s.o; find a solution
ex: I come up with a date at the last minute.
ex: I don't have the tool you need, but I'll see if I can come up with s.th.
8. s.th come along = arrives or happens unexpectedly and by chance.
ex: s.th better will come along.
9. contrary to s.th = in spite of s.th; regardless of s.th
ex: Contrary to what you might think, I am neat and tidy.
10. count on s.th or s.o = to rely on s.o or s.th
ex: Can I count on you to be there at noon?
11. enough is enough = that is enough for the speaker. the speaker can't stand another problem.
ex: A: You have another problem.
B: Enough is enough.
12. fall behind on or with s.th = s.o does not produce s.th when it is due.
eX: Unfortunately, we have fallen behind on the payments.
13. finish s.th up or finish up doing s.th = to wind up or end up s.th
ex: Robert finished up serving in a shop.
ex: Maybe you too will finish up as Prime Minister.
14. for good = forever permanently.
ex: I finally left home for good. They tried to repair it many times before they fixed it for good.
15. for sure = surely.
16. get ahead = to be successful in one's career; to advance
ex: The bright young man can get ahead quickly in industry.
17. get s.th in = submit s.th
ex: A: You look exhausted, Larry.
B: That's because I worked all night to get this English paper in on time.
18. go in such a rush = go veryquikly.
ex: Hi Mary, where are you going such a rush?
19. jump to conclusions = to judge or decide s.th withoute having all the facts; to reach unwarranted conclusions
ex: Now don't jump to conclusions. Wait until you hear what I have to say.
20. let s.o down = to disappoint or fail s.o
ex: I don't want to let you down, but I can't back you up in the election.
21. a letdown= a disappointment, failure
ex: Not winning that scholarship was a big letdown.
22. let up = decline in intensity ( rain, snow...)
ex: A: It wasn't supposed to rain to day. B: It'll let up, won't it?
23. out of one's mind or one's head = silly and senseless; crazy; irrational.
ex: Why did you do that? Youmust be out of y mind.
24. out of s.o's way or out of the way = not on the regular route; following a differant, more awkward route.
ex: They live on a quite, out of the way street.
25. or else = or suffering the consequences
ex: Do what I tell you, or else.
26. overcast = clouded, overclouded, sunless, dull
ex: The forecast is overcast skies and a little rain.
27. pay someone's (own) way = to pay the cost of s.th for s.o.
ex: I wanted to go to Florida this spring, but my parents say I have to pay my own way.
28. pull in somewhere = a driver drives his vihicle into the place and stops it there.
ex: let's pull in the next station for gasoline.
29. running late = tardy, behind schedule.
ex: He was running late for school.
30. split the bill = share the bill